Re: heather was: soil types and pH

> From: Ray & Nora Edwards <raynora.edwards@worldnet.att.net>
> Yeah Tony I ripped a heather out also. It's been a hard dry year.
Lot's of
> plants lost their leaves or they turned brown. What is it with
> anyway? Like you said it was one heather (and a large one ) that
went belly
> up , its neighbor is fine.

I've lost a bunch of heathers over the years - only have one that has
stayed with me - in my sand bed and every spring it looks so ratty
I'm sure it's a goner; I trim and it returns.  Sometimes they'll last
for two or three years in other beds and sometimes hardly a year.
Had a bed with 4 of them in it for 3 years that I thought were doing
fine; all were growing well, got old enough to bloom, bloomed and the
next spring all were dead as doornails...

I think it basically likes cool summers and relatively mild winters;
or at least winters that don't go up and down in temperature like a
roller coaster from really cold to warm.  Also likes really sharp
drainage but doesn't want to dry out - tough combo.  I have given up
buying new ones...sigh.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :