From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 11:06 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] bermudagrass wars

In a message dated 09/03/2003 7:39:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gardenqueen@gbronline.com writes:
Texas greensand is actual sand from marine deposits and chock full of
lovely micronutrients. Great source of available iron too to combat
chlorosis.

Its texture is like coarse builder's sand.  Dark green in color.  Roses and
most shrubs adore it.
I've also discovered that a fine layer of it sprinkled over the soil
when seed starting seems to prevent the dreaded damping off disease.
It's wonderful stuff - always keep an extra 50 # sack around just
because it is so useful! Lovely stuff.
My good friend the daffodil judge (now, sadly departed from us) used to say
she put a handful of greensand in the bottom of the hole whenever she
planted a
bulb. She grew many more than the 100 varieties required of a daff judge,
and
was the winner of many ADS awards.