Re: Viruses- the human kind!

Agree completely, Maddy! Unfortunately, some MDs/DOs cater to patient's expectations of a prescription for everything rather than taking the time to explain what you just did. The other contributor to antibiotic resistance is stopping appropriately prescribed antibiotics too soon - you feel better, so you fail to complete the full course of treatment.

Antibiotics for a virus? I cannot believe there are still doctors prescribing
this way. The funny thing is, people will recover from viruses in spite of
(not because of) taking antibiotics, and then when they start to get better,
they think the drugs were curing them. Overuse of antibiotics is one of the
reasons for the development of so many antibiotic resistant strains of
which are becoming more and more difficult to treat when they no longer
to the drugs that used to wipe them out. In any case, a good friend of mine in
Colorado told me that a few weeks ago he was very sick what he thought was a
flu type thing, and his doctor did a blood draw to see what was going on.
Turned out to be West Nile Virus- no antibiotics prescribed, and he recovered
after several weeks of debilitating illness. There was even an article in the
Journal of the American Medical Association recently, stating that even in
cases of bronchitis, antibiotics are not only useless, but can actually
recovery time.

OK, climbing down off my soap box. I am sorry for my rant, and I hope I
haven't offended anyone, but the irresponsible use of antibiotics is one of my
peeves. I do hope all of you suffering from whatever viruses are going around
make a speedy recovery.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY zone 5/6