Oryx ok, but Crake?

Gene mentioned the book Oryx and Crake, which I haven't gotten yet.  Oddly
enough though, I was wasting a little time Labor Day channel surfing while I
grabbed a sandwich.  I came across a show on which Jack Hanna was showing a
live Oryx, extinct in the wild and only 200 bred and living in captivity.  I've
been enlightened!  Anyone know what a Crake is?