From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of MyTGoldens@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 10:00 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Viruses- the human kind!

In a message dated 9/4/03 12:04:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Donna" <
justme@prairieinet.net writes:

> Hopefully it's not the flu-virus my cabinet maker has.  He said his doctor
told
> him 28-30 days.

> The doctor prescribed 20 days of high vol
> anti-biodicts (can't seem to spell today)for me- I asked him if he
> thought that was a bit excessive... he replied, not for this...

Antibiotics for a virus? I cannot believe there are still doctors
prescribing
this way. The funny thing is, people will recover from viruses in spite of
(not because of) taking antibiotics, and then when they start to get better,
they think the drugs were curing them. Overuse of antibiotics is one of the
reasons for the development of so many antibiotic resistant strains of
bacteria,
which are becoming more and more difficult to treat when they no longer
respond
to the drugs that used to wipe them out. In any case, a good friend of mine
in
Colorado told me that a few weeks ago he was very sick what he thought was a
flu type thing, and his doctor did a blood draw to see what was going on.
Turned out to be West Nile Virus- no antibiotics prescribed, and he
recovered
after several weeks of debilitating illness. There was even an article in
the
Journal of the American Medical Association recently, stating that even in
most
cases of bronchitis, antibiotics are not only useless, but can actually
prolong
recovery time.

OK, climbing down off my soap box. I am sorry for my rant, and I hope I
haven't offended anyone, but the irresponsible use of antibiotics is one of
my
pet
peeves. I do hope all of you suffering from whatever viruses are going
around
make a speedy recovery.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY  zone 5/6