Re: RE: Oryx ok, but Crake?

I assume that the "crake" is a water fowl or shoreline bird?
Cathy
On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 01:09 PM, kmrsy@comcast.net wrote:

OK, I did find this, but apparently isn't extinct
Little Crake Porzana parva
A summer visitor to Eastern Europe from eastern Germany and Poland to Ukraine
and southern Russia. Range very patchy in Central and Western Europe with small
pockets in Spain, France and the Netherlands east to Hungary, Bulgaria and
northern Greece.
Most migrate to Africa with small numbers in Egypt and probably elsewhere
around the Mediterranean but little-known due to secretive nature. First
confirmed breeding for Spain occurred in 1995. Occurs on passage in Italy and
South-East Europe, Turkey, the Middle East and North-West and North-East
Africa.
In Britain occurs as a vagrant (c. 100 records) or possibly rare but regular
visitor, most are in the south and east of England in March-May or August-
November but there have been midwinter records. Also recorded in Ireland, north
to Norway and Finland, the Near East and on the Azores, Madeira and Canary Is.
Habitat Freshwater wetlands with extensive vegetation including small pools and
ditches, reedbeds and around the edges of lakes

Kitty
__Original Message__

Gene mentioned the book Oryx and Crake, which I haven't gotten yet. Oddly
enough though, I was wasting a little time Labor Day channel surfing while I
grabbed a sandwich. I came across a show on which Jack Hanna was showing a
live Oryx, extinct in the wild and only 200 bred and living in captivity. I've
been enlightened! Anyone know what a Crake is?

Kitty
Agree completely, Maddy! Unfortunately, some MDs/DOs cater to patient's
expectations of a prescription for everything rather than taking the
time to explain what you just did. The other contributor to antibiotic
resistance is stopping appropriately prescribed antibiotics too soon -
you feel better, so you fail to complete the full course of treatment.
Cathy

Antibiotics for a virus? I cannot believe there are still doctors
prescribing
this way. The funny thing is, people will recover from viruses in
spite of
(not because of) taking antibiotics, and then when they start to get
better,
they think the drugs were curing them. Overuse of antibiotics is one
of the
reasons for the development of so many antibiotic resistant strains of
bacteria,
which are becoming more and more difficult to treat when they no longer
respond
to the drugs that used to wipe them out. In any case, a good friend of
mine in
Colorado told me that a few weeks ago he was very sick what he thought
was a
flu type thing, and his doctor did a blood draw to see what was going
on.
Turned out to be West Nile Virus- no antibiotics prescribed, and he
recovered
after several weeks of debilitating illness. There was even an article
in the
Journal of the American Medical Association recently, stating that
even in
most
cases of bronchitis, antibiotics are not only useless, but can actually
prolong
recovery time.

OK, climbing down off my soap box. I am sorry for my rant, and I hope I
haven't offended anyone, but the irresponsible use of antibiotics is
one of my
pet
peeves. I do hope all of you suffering from whatever viruses are going
around
make a speedy recovery.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY zone 5/6