MG classes

Each county or state handles the classes differently.  Here we have classes
twice a week for 3hrs at a time for 8 to 9 weeks.  Equals 51 hours; roughly the
same number of volunteer hours expected after the training.  However, some
counties conduct their classes in longer but fewer sessions, even 6 or 8 hour
full days.  I think that in most cases the amount of training time is still
somewhere between 50 and 65.

There are a lot of changes taking place in the Indiana MG program.  A new state
coordinator is streamlining things and requiring all districts to meet certain
standards and requirements.  Most of these are already met here in Allen
County.  However, you're no longer a MG for 'life'.  You must volunteer at
least 12 hrs each year and get 6 hrs of education each year to remain
certified.  A new logo has been developed to help protect Purdue's control over
the MG name in IN.  Any MGs who have stopped turning in hours anytime in the
past 25 years will be given until April 2004 for recertification.  A new badge
system will be applied depending on volunteer and education hours rather than
on the previous method of years of service.  I have over 2000 hours of service
in but I will get the lowest badge because I haven't kept up my education
hours.  I can't afford seminars and bus trips and the free seminars are always
given during our plant sales which I must work.  It looks like I'll have to go
to the Home and Garden show - ugh - to listen to some speakers.  Personally, I
don't care what color badge I have, but I can't let them kick me out!