From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of cathy carpenter
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2003 10:50 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Viruses- the human kind!

I love honey too, but there are warnings about using it for babies
under one year. Has been linked to infant botulism. Clostridium
botulinum spores are found in honey and activate in infant (under 1 yr)
intestines. The spores develop into the bacteria which produces the
toxin that causes paralysis and death. Curiously, those over 1 yr are
not affected.