From: kmrsy@comcast.net
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Fall clean-up question
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 19:54:05 +0000

Maddy,
In neIN, Z5, I don't cut peonies back (to the ground) until the are damaged by
frost. This allows them to continue photosynthesis as long as possible.
However, if they're established but looking a bit ratty, I don't think you'd
hurt them by cutting back now. Daylilies can be cut back to the point where
they still stand up straight, say 6-12 inches, when they start looking ratty.
It's a good idea to clean up any dead leaves around them, too. I've not grown
Iris for awhile, but I used to cut them back in late summer to wherever they
didn't show any leaf damage. I cut them into those cute V shapes.

Kitty