Mosquito Magnet

Is anyone using one of these devices?  I have one friend who has one, and
says it works quite effectively for his half acre wooded lot. It sounds like
environmentally friendly solution, since no poisons or flames are used, and no
beneficial insects are caught. It works by emitting a plume of carbon dioxide,
mimicking the breath of large animals (including humans). It also maintains a
temperature similar to humans, and one can also add a pheromone attractant.
The mosquitoes and other flying biting insects are simply drawn into a mesh
where they dehydrate and die.

They aren't cheap, running from about $300 for the smallest unit, up to over
$400 for one that will treat one acre. One also has to purchase a propane tank
(such as those used for barbeque grills) which needs to be replaced about
once every 3 weeks.

The mosquitoes have been especially bad around here this year, probably
because of all the rain, or maybe because I've been spending so much more time
the garden! I don't like using strong chemicals such as Deet, so I stick to
Buzz-Off, a citronella based repellent, and find its effectiveness rather
limited. And with the constant threat of West Nile Virus (a good friend of
caught it this summer and was very sick with it for most of the summer), these
critters are more than just an annoyance.

Anyway, I wondered if any of you have one, and what you thought about it.
And- don't laugh here! But we have zillions of frogs and toads and birds in
little piece of paradise, and it has crossed my mind that there might actually
be some negative environmental impact to killing off so much of their food
supply! Or do you suppose there will always be plenty to go around?

 <A HREF="http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/";>Mosquito Magnet. Home Page</A>

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY  zone 5/6