Re: colchicum.

They're poisonous, critters won't bother them.  However, They do require more
sun than you have given them. Full sun to 1/4 shade.  I have some that got much
the same amount of sun you've described and they started going downhill fairly
quickly.  I just moved them last month to a nice sunny spot and they were
smaller than when I first planted them.