Re: Sternbergia lutea was: colchicum.

I have to admit that my Sternbergia probably don't perform as well as they
would in a warmer climate, but they are surviving and hopefully will flower
this year as they did the previous 2 yrs.   My house faces east and I have a
dogwood in the front yard, center but a little to the north.  My lot is on a
curve so southern exposure is fully open after the sun gets past the Silver
maple on the southeast corner.   The dogwood is underplanted with Candytuft and
various threadleaf coreopsis and then the sternbergia are on the eastern rim of
this.  I've overplanted the Sternbergia the last 2 yrs with a brachyscome,
which is why it's sometimes difficult to know when they come up. I'm also
concerned now that the annual could be hogging the nutrients- except that maybe
the overplanting is a plus because I add fertilizer when I plant it.  If they
need a bone dry dormancy, in general I would guess the dogwood and other plants
around there hog the water.  That area does get dry and I'm not one to do a lot
of watering.  It's also on a very slight incline down to the front sidewalk.  I
hope all this rain we had this season doesn't do them any damage.

Kitty