Re: wildlife

In a message dated 9/12/03 12:03:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

I am really pretty tolerant of the wildlife that takes more than its just
share of my garden, and I even manage the deer problem pretty well, but this
too much!  Imagine my ire this morning when I stepped out the front door to
discover that the containers on the front stoop had been devastated.
roses in bloom had been chomped off, zonal geraniums pulled from the pots and

left lying on the ground, a large container of impatiens completely devoured,

but worst of all the two very large old hibiscus plants were sheared off
back to the main stem.  Maddening!  I'm ready for venison stew!

My heart goes out to you, Auralie. I had that same sickening feeling one
morning last year when I discovered 4 huge Woodchuck holes dug in the garden
runs along side the house, destroying numerous perennials and scores of bulbs.
And yes, I am a nature/wildlife lover as well, but it does stretch my
tolerance when they do so much rampant damage.

I have had very good luck spraying Bobbex to repel the deer. A further plus
is that it feeds the plants at the same time. The deer "got me" one time this
summer, devouring every single flower bud on some 10 of my prize daylilies and
some Hosta flowers too, but they didn't touch the leaves. I realized that the
spray on the leaves lasts for at least 2 weeks or more, even through rain, but
it can't protect flower stems that have grown up since the last spray. Now I
do a major spray only about once in 3 weeks, but I spray the new flower buds
once a week.

Of course no amount of spraying can bring back the beautiful plants you lost,
but perhaps you can prevent it from happening again. So sorry about your

Come to think of it, are you sure the perpetrators were deer, and not
woodchucks? I find them harder to control than the deer, and they seem to be
to come up much closer to the house.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY  zone 5/6