Re: Question about overwintering annuals

Maddy, flowering maple (Abutilon) is a great houseplant and will bloom all
winter.  Salvia 'Black & Blue' is hardy to zone 6.  I have had this in the past
& just let it go but I am going to pot one this year and try keeping as a
dormant plant in the garage.  The problem with doing that, I never know how much
moisture to provide.  I also have Salvia van houtti 'Paul' hardy only to zone
8.  I like this better than B&B so I do want to try to save this.  I have a
couple of cuttings now and hope to get some roots.  Unfortunately neither seem to
produce seed.
    My elephant ears are dug, the foliage allowed to dry off and stored in
brown  paper bags in dry peat in the coolest spot in my basement.
    I have wintered lantana as a green plant both as a mature plant and also
as a cutting.
    I have not tried Fushias as I have always heard it was inpossible to
avoid white flies.
    I do not use a lot of geraniums but I have a  pillar geranium I have
wintered over for several years and also one that is usually not availble in our
area.  I leave them in the pot they have used all summer and set them in a
window seat in an upstairs bedroom.  The light is not good but they survive with
moisture greatly reduced.
    I keep many coleus but the daisey is easy to start from seed so I have
never wintered one over.
    I would like to hear from someone who has wintered over a banana tree.
This is the first time I have grown one.