Water update

Just thought I'd give you all an update on our water contamination
problem here in Hills, Iowa: I have been "elected" as chairperson of our
volunteer water task force that our city council established as a way
for our community to be proactive in dealing with this problem. Am
fielding a great number of phone calls from neighbors as well as
newspaper and TV reporters and spending a whole lot of time rounding up
information. Our first task was to enlist the help of local legislators
in pushing the EPA into making good on their promise to deliver water to
the homes that have contaminated wells...that promise was made over 6
weeks ago and thanks to our actions, the water finally showed up
yesterday!!! It is now suspected that the area of contamination might be
bigger than previously thought, so the EPA has started testing more
wells, mine included. I think I've learned more about water
contamination in the past month than I've ever thought I'd need to
know...whew! Kind of like a crash course in reviewing all the organic
chemistry I had to learn in high school and college. One question I
haven't been able to find an answer to is the one I'm hoping someone on
this list might be able to help with: is it safe to use ground water
contaminated with perchlorates on vegetable gardens? Many of our town's
residents have quite large veggie crops and now people are concerned
that if their water is full of perchlorates it could end up in the food
they are growing. I haven't been able to get the folks at the EPA to
definitively answer this (or really any other) question I've
asked...typical government double speak is their usual m.o. Anyway, any
help with this one is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein