Re: Water update

At this point we are willing to look at all options, so it could be a
possibility that we do that...unfortunately, the other 4 communities
that we know of with perchlorate contamination aren't all that close to
us. The closest city to us that already has municipal water we could tap
into is Iowa City, 7 miles away, but they just built themselves a new
water facility and charge their own residents an absolute fortune for
water services and would probably double or triple that charge for us
(their residents pay approx. $10 of their property taxes per year for a
library card that Iowa City then turns around and charges us $125 per
year for--can you imagine what they would charge us for their
water?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Our biggest problem seems to be that we are *not*
a municipal water system...everyone here has their own individual wells,
so we would have to start at the very costly beginning of digging up all
the streets and yards to lay water supply lines in addition to actually
building a water tower and/or treatment facility if we have to take the
water out of the river...prohibitively expensive to ask another
community to share in those costs, I would think...especially if they
already have all the hardware, like supply lines in place. Oh well,
we'll eventually get something figured out...it will just take time.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein