From: Daryl [mailto: pulis@mindspring.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:21:45 -0400
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Water update

Melody,<br><br>Susan Varlamoff did battle with big business ( "The
Polluters: A Community<br>Fights Back " From Alibris:<br>Amazing
chronicle of the 8 1/2-year grass roots battle of a handful
of<br>mothers to close a neighborhood toxic landfill (dump) and how they
did it<br>and brought a billion-dollar company to its knees.
)<br><br>She and I worked also together at UGA doing Water Quality
education. She's a<br>great gal and probably would know who to contact,
and probably would have<br>some great tips for doing battle. Would you
Original Message ----- <br>From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com><br>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 4:30
you all an update on our water contamination<br>> problem here in Hills,
Iowa: I have been "elected" as chairperson of our<br>> volunteer water
task force that our city council established as a way<br>> for our
community to be proactive in dealing with this problem. Am<br>> fielding
a great number of phone calls from neighbors as well as<br>> newspaper
and TV reporters and spending a whole lot of time rounding up<br>>
information. Our first task was to enlist the help of local
legislators<br>> in pushing the EPA into making good on their promise to
deliver water to<br>> the homes that have contaminated wells...that
promise was made over 6<br>> weeks ago and thanks to our actions, the
water finally showed up<br>> yesterday!!! It is now suspected that the
area of contamination might be<br>> bigger than previously thought, so
the EPA has started testing more<br>> wells, mine included. I think I've
learned more about water<br>> contamination in the past month than I've
ever thought I'd need to<br>> know...whew! Kind of like a crash course
in reviewing all the organic<br>> chemistry I had to learn in high
school and college. One question I<br>> haven't been able to find an
answer to is the one I'm hoping someone on

water<br>> contaminated with perchlorates on vegetable gardens? Many of
our town's<br>> residents have quite large veggie crops and now people
are concerned<br>> that if their water is full of perchlorates it could
end up in the food<br>> they are growing. I haven't been able to get the
folks at the EPA to<br>> definitively answer this (or really any other)
question I've<br>> asked...typical government double speak is their
usual m.o. Anyway, any<br>> help with this one is greatly appreciated
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT<br><br>