Re: Isabel

 We're fine here.  We were in Utica for a State Garden Club Federation
meeting, but the weather reports made us so nervous we left a bit early yesterday.
Got back about dark - it looked very threatening.  We really exhausted
ourselves moving all the smaller container plants into the garage or basement room -
taking down birdfeeders, dismantling the birdbath, picking up anything loose.
I grew up in Florida and have a very healthy respect for what hurricane winds
can do even when you aren't in the direct path.  Anyway, it rained and blew a
bit during the night, but this morning was bright and sunny.  However it has
been extremely windy all day and this afternoon a limb came down across the
hood of the car as we sat in a shopping mall parking lot.  Didn't do any damage,
but it was scary.
  I was glad enough to be home - the meetings are fun because I have many
friends all across the state and enjoy seeing them, but I'd had enough of it.
Chet was disappointed because he wanted to stop by our son's place upstate to
give our grandson the award he received at the meeting.  This 17-year-old had
done the illustrations for a book of youth poetry published by the State
Federation - really very fine illustrations - and then he and grandpa had gone to the
State Office in Albany to print the booklets and assemble them.  Please
forgive my bragging - the theme of the poetry booklet was 'Trees' so maybe that
counts as a garden topic.
  Thanks for your concern for our safety.  It's blowing harder right now than
any time before.  I hope everyone else had as little bother as we did.  But
now I have to move all those plants back out or else decide that the season is
over and compost most of them.  The deer had done serious damage the week
before, so maybe I'll just end this season early.  Auralie