Re: The Scientist :: Frontlines | Plant Police Go Online, Sep. 22,2003

Pam,
Tony's URL took me right to it.  However, I think that, like similar news
sites, stories are available to the general public for a limited time -
sometimes a day, others a week - then it is archived for members.
Just checked it again and it's still available,  I may have signed up at one
time and it still recognizes my computer (though I have cleared my temps,
history, and cookies since that time) It's brief; here it is:

Defending the United States against invaders of the vegetative variety is a
job that airport agriculture inspectors can't handle alone anymore. Internet
plant vendors have proliferated like kudzu, creating a problem requiring a
Web-based solution.

"You've got folks shipping things among states and from outside the US
through the mail; it represented just a whole new pathway for invasive
species," says entomologist and biomathematician Ronald Stinner, North
Carolina State University, Raleigh. Working with the Animal and Plant Health
Inspection Service (APHIS), Stinner's group is developing the Agricultural
Internet Monitoring System (AIMS), a Web crawler and database program
designed to find and track vendors of invasive plant species. It's set to
launch in December.

AIMS uses about 1,000 search terms, including taxonomic and common plant
names, as well as terms typically used on commercial Web sites, such as
MasterCard and order form. The program looks for sites that sell the
offending species, so APHIS can contact the owners and tell them to stop.
Big nurseries and importers know the rules, says Stinner, but "we now have
thousands of mom-and-pop shops that were maybe raising herbs and wildflowers
native to their area ... when they start selling them from North Carolina to
California, you've got a problem." Aquatic plants sold in the aquarium
trade, such as giant salvinia, are primary APHIS targets; in the wild,
salvinia forms dense mats and blocks streams.

APHIS hopes to sign cooperative agreements with countries in similar
straits, such as Australia and New Zealand, so each participating country
can stop their respective domestic vendors from shipping the plants
overseas.

--Christine Soares