Re: The Scientist :: Frontlines | Plant Police Go Online, Sep. 22, 2...

In a message dated 09/24/2003 12:25:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wendyswope@mindspring.com writes:

> I know you addressed this question to Tony, but I'm putting my two cents
> in <g!>. I used to work for a government agency. I learned that our
> government uses the fewest people possible to accomplish the greatest
> amount of work, cutting staff gradually but steadily in every office
> until the few poor souls who remain employed can no longer shoulder the
> workload, which does not decrease and often increases because of new
> policies. The U.S. gov may single out and sorely persecute "examples"
> who break the rules, but there is no way they are going to be able to
> squelch the internet traffic in plants. They won't hire enough peons
> ("peonies"? HA!) to do the work it would take.

Wendy, I too have worked for the government, so I'll add my two bits:
How Government Works
     Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle of a
desert. Congress said "someone may steal from it at night." So they created a
night watchman position and hired a person for the job.
   Then Congress said, "How does the watchman do his job without
instruction?" So they created a planning department and hired two people, one  person to
write the instructions, and one person to do time studies.
   Then Congress said, "How will we know the night  watchman is doing the
tasks correctly?" So they created a Quality Control department and hired  two
people.  One to do the studies and one to  write the reports.
   Then Congress said, "How are these people going to get paid?"  So they
created the following positions: a time keeper, and a payroll officer; then hired
two people.
   Then Congress said, "Who will be accountable for all of these people?" So
they created an administrative section and hired three people: an
Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative  Officer, and a Legal Secretary.
   Then Congress said, "We have had this command in operation for one year
and we are $18,000 over  budget, we must cutback overall cost."
  So they laid off the night watchman.