Re: Hello! Rose question...

Wendy, I'm in Z5 neIN, you're, I'd suppose, in Z6.  This has been a pleasant
fall season so far and I'd have no qualms moving most plants by the end of
September.  However, the season can make a quick turn and get cold fast like it
did last year.  It's helpful to remember that soil temp is more important than
air temp.  Do you have a soil thermometer?

A general rule is to divide spring bloomers in fall and vice versa.  Some like
Hosta and Hemerocallis can be done spring or fall.  For fall planting just try
to get it back in the ground about 6 weeks before you excpect a hard frost so
the roots have a chance to grow and grab hold.  It's smart to give these late
planted ones an extra winter mulch (wait until December) to help insulate them
from freeze/thaw cycles that cause heaving.

Certain plants require specific attention.  Peonies should only be dug in fall,
probably October for you.  For specific plants you could check A-Z if you have
it.  Under the genus name it give cultivation requirements and tells the best
time for division.  I'm not sure A-Z is always right, but a good starting
point.  I figured since Brumnnera is a spring bloomer it would be divided in
fall, but A-Z says spring, so I checked with the grower and they said they
thought fall made more sense to them too.

Unless a plant is very sensitive or there is something unique about its growth
habit, most can be moved anytime the soil can be worked and if you move it with
a good sized rootball. TLC should be provided, special attention should be paid
to moisture needs, and root boosters are helpful.  Sometimes the choice is to
move it or lose it and you just have to decide whether it's worht the effort.

Kitty