Re: Soil thermometer

Mardi,
It's not the length, but the range.  My soil thermometer is only about 8 inches
long but the range is something like 35 to 60, don't recall exactly.  Compost
thermometer shows much higher degrees, but don't remember how low it goes.
Anyway, you  don't really have to have one for dividing perennials.  I just
mentioned it because it would be a more graphic explanation of the difference
between air temp and soil temp - to help understand what the plant roots are
dealing with.  As mentioned in several messages, you should still be able to
move plants now, but get a move on.  And add that extra winter mulch in
December.

Kitty