From: Judy L Browning [mailto: judybrowning@lewiston.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:23:42 -0700
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hello!  Rose question...

Bonnie,<br>I noticed the Antique Rose Emporium site has good info on
cuttings, It says<br>fall is the best time [in Texas : ) hope that's
true for the rest of us] to<br>take cuttings. Pencil thick, 6 inches,
make sure there are at least 3 leaf<br>nodes. Thanks for the link, Nora
www.weAREroses.com .<br>Judy B<br>z 6 Idaho, crisp nights, warm days,
fall is here. Moving some of the tenders<br>off the deck into the house.
Got best of show for a stem of Rosa polyanthus<br>"The Fairy" at the
county Fair last week. Woo Hoo!<br><br>From: "Bonnie & Bill Morgan"
<wmorgan972@ameritech.net><br>> Good ideas all, Melody, Betsy and Nora!
As for cuttings, the briars have<br>> few if any leaves on them right
now. Is there a chance of doing cuttings<br>if<br>> there are no leaves?
The three long briars are also without any<br>branching,<br>> though all
three are indeed green.<br>><br>> Yes, this rose is important to me and
my family (especially on dad's<br>side.)<br>> Thanks Nora for the site
regarding old roses. I'll jump on that the first<br>> few free moments I
have.<br>><br>> I'll be doing the pre-cutting with the sharp shovel
maneuver most likely<br>> this weekend. (Note to self, take a rain
cape.) Rain is predicted all<br>> weekend, but I can't let that stop
progress with fall officially here.<br>> Indianapolis generally has our
weather three hours before it reaches us.<br>> Thank You everyone!<br>>
Bonnie: One thing you can do prior to actually digging up the rose is
to<br>> root cut it about a week before you want to take it out of
the<br>> ground...take a very sharp shovel and go deep with it all
around the<br>> rose, severing the roots as much as possible, getting as
large a mass of<br>> the root ball as you can. ***Leave the plant in the
ground*** for about<br>> a week, making sure you give it a good deep
drink of water. Make sure<br>> when you actually take it out of the
ground you wrap it well and get it<br>> back into the ground as soon as
you

can. Heirloom roses are generally<br>> tough plants...they take a lot of
abuse/neglect. Make sure you water it<br>> thoroughly once it is back in
the ground, of course. And if you can pick<br>> a good sunny spot for it
(6-8 hrs. a day), that provides good drainage<br>> (they like deep
waterings but hate soggy soil) you will definitely<br>> improve it's
odds of surviving. Good luck. I think I would also do as<br>> Judy
suggested and try to take cuttings of the bush before you force<br>>
dormancy...get them in some rooting hormone and make yourself a
couple<br>> of baby rose bushes if it's that important to you to save
wmorgan972@ameritech.net]<br>> Sorry I haven't been able to participate
lately. Bill and I are<br>> spending<br>our weekends running back and
forth to Indianapolis and<br>> trying to play<br>catch-up during the
letting a tree grow<br>through it. We<br>> chopped the tree, but now we
have three spindly looking<br>briars that<br>> are still green. Since we
will be selling the house and my<br>brother<br>> killed off mother's
family peonies, I want to move this rose (a<br>> pass<br>a long plant
from an aunt that my father loved and that gives<br>> mom joy too)<br>to
Dayton, but I need advice to make certain it survives<br>> the trip.
What<br>would all of you suggest? It is an old fashioned rose<br>> that
bloomed<br>sporadically throughout the summer and fall--bright red<br>>
blossoms that are<br>highly fragrant, and possibly a climber as
briars<br>> are 6' to 8' high. (I've<br>never seen black spot nor
powdery mildew on<br>> this one.) I will appreciate all your
suggestions! Blessings,
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT<br><br>