Re: ivy question

> From: Pamela J. Evans <gardenqueen@gbronline.com>
> All I could get to come up was an ivy w/ green berries.  These
berries are red, like pigeonberries.
> I've had wild ivy - several types all along, but this is the first
year I've seen this stuff w/ berries.  >Interesting...
----------

Pam, I know there is ivy with berries of other colors than green, but
I've only seen pictures of it; never in person.  Also, my ivy that
berries is high up on the trees - it generally does not flower until
it matures  which it will do at about 20 years or when it reaches the
top of whatever it is climbing.  About the only time I really see the
berries is when wind blows off a mature branch with them.  I do not
recall seeing ivy with red berries anywhere, tho'.

I am thinking you are seeing something other than ivy, but I don't
know what it is.  What's the leaf like?

Mature ivy leaves do not look like "normal" ivy leaves - they lose
the points and become more oval shape with a long drip tip.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade