Re: Isabel

Thanks Lynda and Kitty!  It's good to be back on line - email
withdrawal is one of the hardest bits about no power!  Well, after
having to boil water to wash dishes and self and laundry and
all.....yech!  Our pioneer forebears can have that life; I do NOT
enjoy it!

"Kids" live about 45 minutes from me.  They didn't even lose power
where they are.  I have now got some really massive brush piles that
will rot after several years.  Also one enormous and growing compost
heap with the leafy bits...figure they ought to rot pretty well as
there's a lot of green leaf mixed with brown.

No matter how many twiggy bits I pick up, there always seems to be
one I missed.  Garden has had a hard season what with hail and
several pretty bad thunderstorms and now Isabel...lookin' pretty
tattered at this point.  What hasn't been beaten into the ground or
shredded is rotting from all the rain.  I swore I would never
complain about too much rain again - and I am NOT complaining - just
mentioning that a lot of water encourages the many fungi, both
beneficial and not, and observing that some plants don't actually
like an over abundance of moisture:-)

Well, gotta try to get some work done here tho' it feels like a
holiday, having light again:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade