RE: strange gardening year

The trees started here two weeks ago... not fully yet, but getting there
more and more every day.  I woke up to 38 degrees this am, high is
predicted 56.... supposed to get down to 31 by wed then back up to the
forties for night time lows.

I don't have a lot of color in my yard right now, and usually I do.
Asters are done already, hardy hibiscus has about two flowers per plant,
phlox was done two weeks ago, etc... All foliage looks great, so
thinking it is not a bug or critter problem. The only thing blooming is
the carpet roses in the front.... I think nature is telling me I am in
for a rough winter that will be here soon. Hoping to get out there and
do some much needed clean up, but I don't see that happening till next
weekend. Of course today it is not going to rain, but have a full
schedule so no time.

Our spring was wet and cold, started heating up in June, and the month
of July was rough here with heat... 100 degree days, high humidity and
of course all the rain and storms. It finally cooled down in mid aug,
and did get some things done, but then came Sept and I was gone.... now
it almost Oct.... where did the gardening season go? Does everyone make
great plans throughout the winter that never happen in the summer? I
can't believe I still don't have anything planted or soil ready for the
side of my house... just seems I never get to it!

Actually it is depressing around here currently, and in discussing it
with DH, he pointed out that many things were done here, just not the
ones I wanted to do. Hoping next year will be better.....

Donna

> Hmmm, yeah, strange year, but not in the same way, though I'm not far
from
> you. I just checked weather.com and they're showing predictions
through
> Oct
> 6 - no frost expected yet. No trees changing color other than the
> occasional
> leaf that lets go early.  The asters and anemones are still going
strong.
> And my toadlilies are sensational.  Tricyrtis macrantha ssp.
macranthopsis
> -
> the one with the drooping bright yellow flowers with red-spotted
throats -
> is absolutely loaded!   Autumn Phlox still hanging in there.  And of
> course
> the Colchicum, almost all my varieties are up now.  That's the one
thing
> that seems early, but not by much.
>
> Weeds?  Not much different here. But good volunteers have been
abundant.
> We
> had some hot days in August but otherwise it's been a cool summer.
It's
> been
> pleasant the last few weeks and today was glorious.  Haven't had to
turn
> the
> heat on yet.
>
> We had so much rain this summer some plants did rot out.  I had a
tough
> time
> keeping up with mowing.  The mosquitoes kept me from doing day to day
> maintenance, so some things did get away from me - I forgot to pinch
the
> row
> of Persian Shields out front so they didn't branch out as much as
I'd've