Re: Isabel

Thank you Ceres, Pam and Bonnie for your kind words, thoughts and
welcome back!  I do hope Libby checks in pretty soon.

Ceres,  you're right, tolerance does build character, but I wonder
what kind? :-)  I was in a distinctly rotten mood throughout the
blackout:-)  We have lost power in winter - so no heat - but it's
never lasted more than a day or so at most....not fun even with a
fireplace. Once a house gets cold, it stays that way without central

Deprivation of modern utilities does give you a major respect for our
ancestors who lived without what we consider absolute necessities.

Bonnie, I think I'd have committed hara-kiri if we hadn't had water
for that long.  Been there; done that in my youth when we lived in a
place on well.  To this day, my Father goes around filling bath tubs
when a big storm is forecast - to flush the toilets - and he's had
city water these last 50 years:-)

Yes, many of my plants are going into dormancy, so I'm not really
worried about having lost anything permanently - except, of course,
the items that really don't like it continually soggy.  Plants that
like it wet are flourishing - I am over run with candelabra primrose
seedlings all over the map.  They just don't realize that where they
put themselves will not be nice and soggy if we revert to dry next
year.  Have this sneaky feeling we will, too as Ma Nature never does
things by halves.

The biggest pain of this clean up is the very tedious picking twiggy
bits with leaves attached out of all the shrubs and plants still
growing - and they are everywhere; well attached as they were driven
into the plants by the wind.  Trees are loaded with them too high for
me to reach, so they will just have to fall when they do.  Look
pretty odd; like random squirrel nests all over.

I just keep telling self, this, too, will pass:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :