DF and gardening update/CNPS sale

Hi all-

Just wanted to let you guys know that I heard from Dave F. today.  He seems
to be doing well and wanted to thank everyone for their thought and cards
etc after his sister's tragic death.

Also, I wanted to put my 2 cents in about what if happening in my neck of
the woods.  We had pretty typical weather most of the summer, with a few
bizarre exceptions- specifically it rained twice in August.  If NEVER rains
here at all in the summer- much less has a thunder storm.   Other than that,
it was hot as heck as usual.  I am really ready for fall/winter (they are
pretty much the same thing here).

The canna's that several people gave me are blooming like crazy and
spreading all around the banana plant!  It looks great.  (The banana won't
mind the cannas will it?).  And the Banana plant is as tall as I am and
getting new leaves regularly.  I went to the California Native Plant Society
sale in Sacramento Saturday and bought a bunch of new plants- including a
stunning salvia "Blue sky"- the flowers are even brighter blue and larger
than "black and blue".  Also got a lovely yellow Albutilon, and a couple of
interesting grasses, and more ground cover bearberry (I forgot it's other
name).  I still have a few tomatos coming and cucumbers, cantalop and
peppers.  I have a volunteer sacred basil that decided to start growing-  I
haven't had this plant in my garden for over a year, but some seed decided
to grow all of a sudden.  In the flower department, I have a bunch of
different salvias blooming, ornamental ginger (I love the smell of these
flowers especially in the evening), a couple roses, and one of my iris
finally decided to bloom.  I dug up a bunch of short agapanthus (they were
rather blah looking- came with the house when we moved in), also have been
ripping out remnants of dwarf scouring rush (what a mistake that was! This
stuff would take over the earth if you aren't carefull.  No I'm ripping out
new sprouts every week).  Another one on the big mistake list- passion fruit
vine.  It has grown under two brick/concrete barrier walls and now is
growing new sprouts in my lawn. Great.  So I ripped out all of the parent
plants and pull the new ones out of the lawn everytime I see them.  The
stupid plants never bloomed even.  I won't be planting more of them ever
again.   On the success side- the yellow-berried pyracantha I planted a
couple of years ago has grown wonderfully and is loosely covering the
trellises along my fence.  I am sort- of espaliering them.  They have lots
of yellow berries this year and are really attractive!

Looking forward to cooler weather soon!

Sacramento, CA
zone 8-9