Re: watering

Hi Donna,

Well here goes.  On my system, I remove the 1/4" feeder lines ( the ones
that go to the individual plants) on my annual and veggie plants,  The lines
that feed perennials  stay through the winter, they'll drain enough that the
small amount of ice that is in them will be handled by the elasticity of the
tubing.  Occasionally one of the fittings (couplings, tees, angles, etc)
will freeze and crack.  That's just part of doing business.  The lines I
blow out are 3/4" or 1" PVC plastic that is buried or semi-buried.  It is
all glued together, so nothing flys off.  I plug the ends with masking tape,
so water will continue to drain, and insects etc. don't roost there.

In the ten years I've used the system, the repair and replacement has been
quite minimal.  I've accumulated quite a large supply of parts over the
years, you know the, if you really need one, two won't hurt mentality.

I don't seal the ends of the pipes, so that if there is ice in there, it has
a place to expand to, thus minimizing breakage.  And in the vinyl portion of
the system, there is a certain amount of elasticity.

Hope this helps.  Rich in Z-5