Re: Help with peonies

I truly think this is a climate type issue.  Peonies thrive best in
climates where the nights are cooler than days...now, I know it gets
hottern' the hinges of in Iowa and points midwest, but there is a
difference in the night temp. that those of us more in the humid
southeast don't get.  Plus our hot, humid days are
semi-tropical...real steam bath type weather where you walk out and
are instantly soaking wet; air so thick you can't breathe...just
right for every fungi spore out there to make itself at home...plus
not giving the poor plants a chance to recuperate at night like they
need to do.

Where I am, only the early peonies have much chance.  Even then, the
large, luscious doubles often turn into sodden brown messes because
we invariably have major rain just as they come into bloom...every
durn year!

On top of that, it always seems to get really hot just as they bloom,
so flowers last about 2 days before going over.  Despite all this -
and the fact that I NEVER get my act together to stake them when I
should, so they end up flat on the ground - I wouldn't want to be
without these plants and wish I had more sun so I could add a few

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Melody <mhobertm@excite.com>
> Guess after reading a few of the other posts, I am now aware that
> all peonies do this...I've grown peonies pretty much all my life
> have never not had mine do this...all very healthy, very robust
> My grandmother (of the 100+ year old peonies) always told me this
> just how it was with these plants and she always mowed hers to the
> ground the end of every fall once they were browned. I do agree
> Kitty, though that any blackened stems need to be removed
asap...that is