Flowering Crab Apple Tree

O.K. all you master gardeners and advanced master gardeners....and anybody else who knows the answers here.....question:
How long should the seeds be "cold treated" and how cold does it have to be?
From what I've read, most crab apples are propagated by grafting or by
digging up the suckers. I have found very little information on the
seeds. There are some very, very old and very beautiful crab apples in
the park across from the building where I work. I just went and picked
up some of the tiny little "apples" and now I'm wondering....how long do
they have to be cold treated before they will sprout?