Re: Flowering Crab Apple Tree

Hmmmm...well I've done the planting in soil part ( I put it in a Glad
plastic ware container) with some good soil, and was going to stick it
in the fridge or freezer for awhile...but...being outside all winter
will work I guess. I just wanted to speed up the process a little...LOL.

james singer <jsinger@igc.org> wrote:
I don't know the answer to your question, Jesse. But when I lived in
Maryland and wanted to hatch some native persimmon seeds, I planted the
seeds in a box of damp sand and left it out all winter. In spring I had
a box full of saplings.

On Thursday, September 2, 2004, at 02:36 PM, Jesse Bell wrote:

> O.K. all you master gardeners and advanced master gardeners....and
> anybody else who knows the answers here.....question:
> How long should the seeds be "cold treated" and how cold does it have
> to be?
> From what I've read, most crab apples are propagated by grafting or by
> digging up the suckers. I have found very little information on the
> seeds. There are some very, very old and very beautiful crab apples in
> the park across from the building where I work. I just went and picked
> up some of the tiny little "apples" and now I'm wondering....how long
> do
> they have to be cold treated before they will sprout?
> http://www.hort.net/funds/
Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W