Re: return to cabinetry

I was thinking the exact same thing, Rich....so, Kitty, did you glue
the panel to the frame?  I'm sure that was not a pleasant surprise.
Who manufactured the cabinet?  They ought to have a warranty of some
kind; if it's only been a year, it might still be good.  If they were
of standard manufacture and you know who the company was, I would
contact them.  If they are at all reputable, they should send you a
replacement door.  From what you've said, it seems to me a flaw in
the fabrication of the door, not the installation of the unit.

If you did glue the panel in tight, do not be surprised if it splits
on you  - that's what happens when 'raised' panels are glued to their
surroundings.  The are supposed to be loose so they can expand and
contract, but it sounds to me like yours was not made properly so
that when it contracted, it went past the frame and that's why it
fell out.  There is a very tight tolerance in the space between the
frame and the floating center panel; 1/16th of an inch can make all
the difference...

Did a project once with many thousands of dollars worth of raised
sugar pine paneling...idiot general contractor installed it  and
glued it all firmly to the plywood substrata, despite written
installation instructions from the millwork house specifying exactly
how it was to be installed, approved shop drawings and my detailed
specifications.  Of course, the center panels split nicely as soon as
they turned on the heating system.  If you don't think that wasn't a
nice mess with me in the middle between the owner, general contractor
and millwork fabricator.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis