hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

Re: return to cabinetry

OK- so if the center panel splits and is ruined in the future- maybe you could replace it with frosted glass? No expansion issue then!


kmrsy@comcast.net wrote:

Marvelous Marge - she can do anything!
Ok - so the stile is what I called the"side border attached to the
hinges'. And the rails are what I called the "top and bottom borders".
My"fix" was to put carpenters' wood glue in the stile and insert the
panel. According to Rich, this was the wrong thing to do, but I don't
know how else I would have gotten the whole thing to hold together. The
damage he described will happen over time, I guess, and maybe by the
time it is totally wrecked I will be able to afford to have it replaced.
I have the stain to match if that happens.

Thanks for the explanation.

-------------- Original message --------------

Not Rich, here, Kitty, but in cabinetwork, a stile is the vertical bit along the side of a panel and a rail is the horizontal bit at the top and bottom of a panel, whether it's a wall panel or a door panel - any panel.

Now for some marvelous ascii artwork here...hope it comes thru aligned _____rail | __\/_________ | |___________| | | | | | | panel | | | | face | |<-------stile | | | | | |___________| | |_____________| /\ |______rail

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland mtalt@hort.net Editor: Gardening in Shade ----------------------------------------------- Current Article: Corydalis http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/shade_gardening ------------------------------------------------ Complete Index of Articles by Category and Date http://mtalt.hort.net/article-index.html ------------------------------------------------ All Suite101.com garden topics : http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635 ----------

From: Kitty

Well, Rich - you sent me to the dictionary on that one. The only

stile I

was aware of was the crooked one that held a crooked sixppence. Stile: : a step or set of steps for passing over a fence or wall No, that doesn't help me. Rails? - not too sure about that either. The panel did float in the frame... and right on out of it as well. I suppose I did fix it incorrectly, but probably no worse than the


workmanship. Besides, I doubt there's anything I could do about it now. Thanks for your help, though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive! http://www.hort.net/funds/

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive! http://www.hort.net/funds/

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive! http://www.hort.net/funds/

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement