Re: Jim

Agents always say stupid stuff like that. Insurance companies are prohibited from raising rates to re-coup for past catastrophes.

[Just noticed on the tube that some morons who think with their testosterone glands are out swimming in Tampa Bay. Cops had to go haul them out. I think the cops should have harpooned them, but what do I know.]

Back to insurance companies. When they take a big hit, like Andrew or Charley, their usual response is not to raise rates, but to stop writing policies in that area and let attrition [also called "terminal old age" in Florida] take care of the rest. When I first moved down here [a few years post Andrew], none of the captains of free enterprise wrote hurricane insurance policies here. The state had a hurricane insurance fund that required the private enterprise thieves who continued to sell auto and homeowners insurance in the state to re-insure a portion of the state program.

There's nothing freebooters like less than being called a scam by some government body, so within about two years, they were all back in line, selling hurricane insurance. And at a rate below that of the state pool [have you heard? private enterprise can do it for less than Big Government].