Re: Was Jim now paychecks

Charley came through on, I think, a Saturday. At the nursery, on Thursday, we moved all the computers to "safe" rooms, which meant there was nothing for those of us in the bean-counting department to do on Friday. So they gave us a "hurricane holiday" with pay--because, I think, we wanted to but policy decisions made it impossible for us to do so. As you know, on this one, we just wasted a 3-day weekend with paid holiday.

Ms. Fatma, the Montessori teacher, is on salary. She would get paid if the whole state blew away.

But this is largely an area of low-paid unskilled and semi-skilled laborers--people who clean other people's bathrooms or swimming pools, or mow lawns, work as construction grunts, or are other bottom feeders attracted by the needs of a large older population. It's a terrible place to look for a job because the jobs are almost universally terrible and the pay is universally terrible and without benefits for the most part.

So when something like this happens, large numbers of people are either temporarily unemployed or they freelance and join the looters and scammers. When Charley ripped through Punta Gorda it became clear that it turned into a race between law enforcement and the scammers who began working the wrecked neighborhoods, offering to help people file their insurance claims or repair their roofs or replace their windows.

Florida's always been a state that fosters questionable business practices, going back at least to the land scams of the 50s and 60s. It hasn't changed much since then.