Re: Yahoo! Briefcase: zemuly's file(s) NOW Clerodendrum

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Yahoo! Briefcase: zemuly's file(s) NOW Clerodendrum
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 04:20:48 -0400

> From: Zemuly@aol.com
>> kmrsy@comcast.net writes:
>> How big  is the Clerodendrum?
> My Clerodendrum trichotomum is about 25 feet tall and 20 feet wide.
  It just
> keeps growing -- and making suckers, which, incidentally, have
roots.  If
> anybody wants to try some let me know.  I don't know,  however, how
hardy it is
> above zone 7, and it takes a few years to bloom.   If you want to
read a funny
> opinion, see what Dirr has to say about it.

Hmmmm, Zem...I whack mine back each spring; had read that you can do
this as it blooms on new wood - it just can't get as big as yours is
where I have it.    Wonder if that's why it's not blooming its little
head off for me.  I cut it back to about 4' and by this time of year,
it's at least 10 or 12' high.  Mine has created a sucker that I hope
to pawn off on a friend next spring; sure don't need 2 of these
monsters in that location.

My Dirr is so old it's falling apart and he doesn't mention
Clerodendrum...must be in a newer edition?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :