Re: Hi I'm A Newbie with a ??

Not sure I know what a South African Boer goat is. Can you send a picture? Thanks.

On Tuesday, September 7, 2004, at 05:38 PM, Jesse Bell wrote:

We have about 50 South African Boer Goats. Show quality and registered
(100%). They are kind of expensive if you just want a pet and something
to eat the unwanted vegetation. In the past we've had pygmy goats which
make GREAT pets. My daughter has a teacher that wanted one so we helped
her buy one at a sale. She keeps it in the house like a DOG. It is potty
trained, goes on walks with her when she walks her dogs, gets a bath
once a week....when she paints her toe-nails...she paints the goats
horns (I know...I can't believe it ...and I'm a HUGE animal lover) and
it has it's own bed and play area. She just loves it. There are all
kinds of different goats...it really depends on what you want - pet
quality, milk, meat, etc. We buy milk from a lady down the road who has
Nubians (sp?) so we can bottle-feed an orphaned Boer goat. Her Nubians
are pretty too...and if they never have kids, they don't get a big milk
bag....and they are taller and thinner than pygmy goats.

Jess

From: Jesse Bell
No worries Marge. I let my goats do that now. It's nummy food for
them.
Haven't seen ANY of it on our place since we have goats. Not even
down
by the ponds.
----------

Whew! Had visions of you knee deep in PI (in shorts; bare-footed)
hauling it out by the fistful:-)

What kind of goats do you have? I have always wanted a goat...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor: Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis