Re: Master Gardener class/Garden Study

In a message dated 09/09/2004 7:22:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Cersgarden@aol.com writes:
Auralie, your Horticulture School sounds like what is part of the flower Show
school in this state.  I thought these were all defined by the mother club.
I don't see HS listed in the Natl Gardener.  Are you from New York?

The New York Horticulture School for Judges and Exhibitors is
unique to our state.  It is state sponsored and not defined by the
National organization, but our schools are regularly approved for
refreshers for Garden Study courses.  The New York State program
antedates the National Garden Study courses by a number of years.
I believe our program was inititated in the early 70s, and the National
program began about 1990. Yes, we do have some aspects of
Flower Show School, but nothing about design. We feel that
horticulture is the poor step-child of the National organization, and
this is our effort to supplement that lack.  Since we are not a National
program, Horticulture School courses would not be listed in National
  I took three of the Landscape Design courses, but was unable to
attend the fourth, and haven't kept up the series.  There hasn't been
one near me for some years.  My DH is State Environmental Schools
Chm., but has only had one  school in three years.  New York has
flower show schools, but is not big on the others.  I push my Horticulture
School along, but the attendance is not great.  I'm afraid in New York
there is not too much enthusiasm for the educational programs.  This
summer the State tried the new tri-refresher idea that National began
a couple of years ago when they had the National Convention on a
cruise ship.  Only NY made it a "quad-refresher" to include my
Horticulture Schools.  It was only moderately successful.  The programs
were interesting, but, in my opinion, more entertaining than educational.
I had no input into the planning - the chairman of the meeting was not
one of the schools chairmen, but a dominant person who took no
suggestions from anyone.  Oh well.
  The National organization covers a lot of variants.  Have you been to
a National convention?  I've been to several, and always enjoy them, but
the variations from state to state can be striking.  Interesting.