Re: Boer Goats

Yes...some of ours end up going to the sale barns too, but not very
often. Usually when we have more billies than we know what to do with.
Eventually, I want to get into Angora goats and sell the mohair. I want
to learn to weave and do stuff with it. And...mixing it with my llama
hair might be interesting. Angora are not as robust and have to be
babied more...and I don't have the set up for them yet. Need a bigger
barn to keep them from getting wet and cold. But some day...

james singer <jsinger@igc.org> wrote:
Cabrito [sp] is one of the best dishes ever, Jesse. My sheep were also
show critters, but a fair number ended up at auction. We bred them for
4-H and FFA market shows. So we produced a lot of crosses--Hampshire
[M] X Dorset [F]. Dorset ewes are famous for twining. And their
snow-white wool always brought a premium price at the co-op.

On Friday, September 10, 2004, at 05:26 PM, Jesse Bell wrote:

> You are most welcome. They are bred for meat...but not MINE. Nope....I
> price mine so high that NOBODY wants to eat 'em. LOL. Ours are more
> show
> quality and they are 100%. Those that are a percentage or not show
> quality are the ones they sell at market. There is a BIG market for
> them
> in Texas....lots of Hispanics that eat goat. Poor babies. They truly
> are
> the sweetest animals. We have some that follow us EVERYWHERE and love
> all over you. The billies are kind of pig-headed, but still cute. When
> we have more baby billy goats than we need (and we don't NEED any....)
> we either sell them to somebody who wants a good quality billy or we
> make them wethers for kids that want to show them at FFA and 4-H, or
> those that just want a pet or animal that will keep the brush down.
> Like
> I said, we have NO brush down by our ponds...at all. They LOVE the
> weeds
> and sticks.
>

> james singer wrote:
> Those are great, Jesse. They remind me of my Hampshire rams. Big and
> meaty. Thanks for the pictures.
>

> On Friday, September 10, 2004, at 01:32 PM, Jesse wrote:
>
>> Boer Goats
>> I hope Im doing this correctly...if Im doing this wrong let me know.
>> These are some pics of our goats. Jim wanted to know what a Boer goat
>> looked like.
>>
>> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/silverhawk@flash.net/album?.dir=/
>> c15c&.src=ph&.tok=phVwIuBB5HXk1kvG

>> http://www.hort.net/funds/