snakes and cats

Hi all-

Been kind of crazy lately, but things are finally settling. Except for our little excitement this evening. Front door was open, cats just hanging out looking out the screen door. I'm just working on the computer and then realize that one of the cats is all scrunched down in stealth mode and the other one is all poofed up with a ridge of hair down it's back. They clearly see something- I figure something outside. Until... my siamese (the poofed up one) jumps back then wacks at something with it's foot. I get up to see what is up and in the darkish room see something (bigger than a bug!) in the corner of the door. Turn on the light and it is a SNAKE. Granted it is a little one, but still it's in my house! Clearly the screen door wasn't shut securely- or else it wouldn't be inside. So- it stretches out along the screen, so I closed the inside door (basically trapping it between the 2 doors. Went out through the garage and got a stick and opened the screen door to shoo it back out into the garden. It was only a little gopher snake and I'm rather pleased that at least I have some little creature enjoying my garden (he just needs to stay out of my house!)

Theresa
Sac, CA