Re: Glaucidium fresh seed question

Pam, from what Gene wrote, it's not necessary :

" Just keep them dry between a piece of
paper towel and mail in the padded envelope so they do not get crushed in
the postal service canceling and sorting machines. Have your friend go on
and sew as soon as she can."

Do you want some?  I'll mail details with seed, but the info might help you
decide whether you want them, so...

Glaucidium palmatum  Zones: some say 3-8, some say 4-7

From Tom Clothier:
Sow at 64-71:F for 2-4 wks, move to24-39:F for 4-6 wks, move to 41-53:F for
germination, 2 cold periods often required

From Norman Deno:
70? in the dark  (4/5 in 4-7 weeks),  70? GA-3* (5/5 in 2nd week), and none
in 40.  Another sample germinated a few in April fifteen months later and a
few more a year after that.

* GA-3 is giberellic acid, 85% pure crystalline form

Fritillaria raddeana  Zone 4 to  ?

From Tom Clothier:
Sow at Max. 41:F,  germination irregular, often several months

From Norman Deno:

40-70-40-70 (? in 1-3 weeks) and none when started at 70?
3 months at 40?, then 3 months at 70?, etc.

From Eileen Powell:

Sow seeds in flats in autumn, just cover.  Sink in the ground against a
north facing wall, and cover with glass.  Moisten soil occasionally if
necessary.  Bring indoors in spring to 55-60?.   Germinates in 11 to 18
months.  Transplant seedlings as they appear.

From Kevin Pratt/Michael Jefferson-Brown

Sow seed thinly and cover with < inch grit.  Keep pots in greenhouse or bulb
frame where you can be sure they neither dry out or become waterlogged; to
this end you can stand them up on capillary matting or plunge them in peat,
sand or grit and keep it moist.  Cover the pots with polythene until
germination takes place and keep out of direct sunlight.
When turning out seedlings take care of all the contents of the pot. The
majority of frit bulbs have a habit of pulling themselves almost as low as
they are able to in pots.