Re: Re: Cannas in zone 7?

Yes...I would agree with you...it has to be the clay because they do rot
very easily. I could tell where I needed to amend the soil when I plant
mine....in spots they did not survive the winter. When I checked the
soil...those areas were very compact.

Jess

Marge Talt <mtalt@hort.net> wrote:
I have never had a Canna survive winter in my garden. I've even
tried mulching very heavily, but think it's the stolid clay soil
where I plant these guys; just stays too wet in winter. In a sandy
soil or one that stays dry in winter, they just might make it in
colder z 6 or 7.

I was told by Tony Avent that the secret is keeping these marginally
hardy plants dry in winter - in the ground - it's not the cold so
much that kills them but wet cold.

Indoor storage...I used to clean my cannas and carefully layer them
in various things - peat, perlite, vermiculite, sand. Lost a lot of
them. Have found, through sheer accident, that digging them up and
just leaving the clumps of clay and root in a tub in the garage where
I whiz them with the hose periodically so they don't get completely
dried out, gives me more live plants come spring...with Canna and
dahlia it's always a fight between rot and desiccation.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor: Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis