Re: Ivan still

In a message dated 09/20/2004 3:50:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kmrsy@comcast.net writes:
Are your only options for the lare containers bring in or let die?  How
about finding them new homes?  I had an orchid once that I din't want to
keep, but Melody had recently lost many of hers so I sent it to her.  I know
you can't ship these big plants, but maybe someone local would give them a
new home.  Or you could donate them to some organization that could use them
if they'd come get them.  Just a thought
I gave away several a couple of years ago, but have just about run out of
And the standard wisdom is that hibiscus aren't worth keeping more than a few
years - in fact most people I know say they throw them out at the end of the
season and buy new ones next year.  I just can't do that.
I have given quite a few plants to the house at Lasdon Park & Arboretum where
my club meets and where my DH is an officer of the Friends of... organization.
This is a county property, and the house, mansion really, has a lovely sunny
exposure with French doors all around - a beautiful spot for indoor plants.  A
"mistletoe" ficus that I gave them has become quite large and handsome, but
a large Podocarpus outgrew its pot and was just put outside to die.  Some of
the plants in the house look good, but they don't really have enough staff to
do proper upkeep.  The ones that seem to thrive are tough things that don't
take much care.  I'm sure the hibiscus plants wouldn't last a season.  I guess
we will bring them in once more - who knows what will happen by next spring.