Re: troughs

They won't grow here, which is a good thing--I'd probably have a yard full if they did. We had a stand of them when I was a kid in SoCal. Yeah, a bit invasive; they sucker around. But the good things about them are, one, the leaves have hollow stems that make great peashooters for privet berries, and two, the fuzz on the leaf stems is great itching powder.

On Tuesday, September 21, 2004, at 08:16 AM, pdickson wrote:

James,
I think this is the correct name. It was a pass along plant from a friend.
It is a bit invasive but in order to live in Western Oklahoma it needs to be
a bit invasive. I am sure it would be harder to control if it got more
water.
Tricia
----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] troughs

Trish, is your rice paper plant Tetrapanax papyriferus? If so, the
leaves can reach 36" to 42" in diameter. Large, I'd call that.

On Monday, September 20, 2004, at 12:14 PM, Cersgarden@aol.com wrote:

Tricia, I am not familiar with rice paper plant. Does it have great
veins
and substance?
I used a courser sand for my base because we had it.
The Iowa lady who I mentioned is making and selling very nice ones
are
leaving them just the natural, cement look. She is selling many small
leaves in
a number of applications. I have seen them at our Botanical Center
gift shop
& the Iowa Arboretum gift shop. They seem more tan than gray.
Ceres

http://www.hort.net/funds/

Island Jim
Southwest Florida