From: David Franzman
Sent: 9/25/2004 8:37:35 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: Re: [CHAT] RE: daughter unit

The daughter unit is home and doing much better.  I will tell you all this
because it's such a bizarre series of maladies that it defies reason but one
after another it has taken a toll on her usual cheerful self.

One day before she was finishing her junior year of high school on the last
finals day she was diagnosed with lymphoma.  This wasn't your typical
lymphoma.  It was caused by her anti rejection medications suppressing her
immune system acting with a latent mono virus which we didn't know she had
causing tumors to grow.  I think you knew this part so far.  Well she
received low doses of chemo treatments which was very effective in reducing
the tumors.  However, on the day she was supposed to visit her grandparents
for a week in July she experienced excruciating pain in her abdomen where
the larger of the two tumors were.  We rushed her to the hospital via
helicopter.  The tumor, when it shrank, perforated her bowels and gave her a
raging infection.  She had emergency surgery and they removed 8" of her
intestines.  She came home in early August for one week.  Then when she was
supposed to go to Seattle to visit her aunt for a week before school started
again she had the same pain again.  Either another area was perforated or
they didn't get it all the first time.  They had to operate again in the
same place and remove another 10" of intestines.  This time the infection
was even worse with a fungal infection added to the bacterial infection.
When you don't have an immune system these things can kill you very quickly
and she was very, very sick.

Anyway that's how my daughter spent her summer vacation.  She seems to be
having a better attitude now that she's home.  Unfortunately one of the
doctors is very frank and explained to us that with lung transplant patients
body parts can suddenly just stop functioning and that the simplest medical
problems can become instantly fatal particularly in the gut region.

My selling season is over now so hopefully I'll be able to more a part of
the group for a while.  You're now updated on her condition.  Hopefully
she'll have some time of good health and she can have a productive senior
year.

DF