Re: Re: RE: daughter unit

Lordy, David, that poor kid has been through the mill.  Bless her
heart; takes a lot of courage to go through what she's gone through.
Give her a big hug from the chat group...we're all rootin' for her!

Thanks for the update!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Corydalis

----------
> From: David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
>
> The daughter unit is home and doing much better.  I will tell you
all this
> because it's such a bizarre series of maladies that it defies
reason but one
> after another it has taken a toll on her usual cheerful self.
>
> One day before she was finishing her junior year of high school on
the last
> finals day she was diagnosed with lymphoma.  This wasn't your
typical
> lymphoma.  It was caused by her anti rejection medications
suppressing her
> immune system acting with a latent mono virus which we didn't know
she had
> causing tumors to grow.  I think you knew this part so far.  Well
she
> received low doses of chemo treatments which was very effective in
reducing
> the tumors.  However, on the day she was supposed to visit her
grandparents
> for a week in July she experienced excruciating pain in her abdomen
where
> the larger of the two tumors were.  We rushed her to the hospital
via
> helicopter.  The tumor, when it shrank, perforated her bowels and
gave her a
> raging infection.  She had emergency surgery and they removed 8" of
her
> intestines.  She came home in early August for one week.  Then when
she was
> supposed to go to Seattle to visit her aunt for a week before
school started
> again she had the same pain again.  Either another area was
perforated or
> they didn't get it all the first time.  They had to operate again
in the
> same place and remove another 10" of intestines.  This time the
infection
> was even worse with a fungal infection added to the bacterial
infection.
> When you don't have an immune system these things can kill you very
quickly
> and she was very, very sick.
>
> Anyway that's how my daughter spent her summer vacation.  She seems
to be
> having a better attitude now that she's home.  Unfortunately one of
the
> doctors is very frank and explained to us that with lung transplant
patients
> body parts can suddenly just stop functioning and that the simplest
medical
> problems can become instantly fatal particularly in the gut region.
>
> My selling season is over now so hopefully I'll be able to more a
part of
> the group for a while.  You're now updated on her condition.
Hopefully
> she'll have some time of good health and she can have a productive
senior
> year.
>
> DF

Botanical