From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 10:51 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Jeanne

We don't have shutters, although that would be preferable to plywood.
Windows break in high wind, Donna, either because the wind bows them to
the breaking point or because the wind picks up an object and throws it
at them. This house has those now passe three-pane jalousie windows,
each 14 by 32 inches--too small to be bowed. And the windows on the
side of house that are in the prevailing direction of hurricane winds
on this side of the state [west and southwest], are fairly well
protected from flying objects by Jim's jungle. In fact, the brunt of
the storm falls mostly on the side of the garage, which had no windows.

We have no bay windows or sliding glass doors. I'm afraid if the winds
were strong enough to blow out the jalousie windows, plywood would not
help although shutters might.

On Sunday, September 26, 2004, at 10:07 AM, Donna wrote:

> 'look out the window'
>
> E_Gads-- where or where are your hurricane shutters!.. or at least
> plywood. Thinking you are the only person in the state of Florida with
> viewable window this season.....
>
> Stay safe.... looks like you are going to be pounded for awhile.
>
> Donna
>
>> House across the street--the one with the Statue of Liberty in the
>> front yard--is loosing shingles from its roof. I went out and checked
>> ours a few minutes ago, and we are okay so far. Except Beans is
> yowling
>> to go out. I've told her that with gusts at 60 MPH she'd likely get
>> blown into Hardee county, but she doesn't believe me.
>>
>> All of our pots and hanging baskets, which we set on the ground
>> yesterday, have not budged. I can't see any damage when I look out the
>> windows, although a lot of our trees, especially the schefflera and
> the
>> jatrophas are sure bending over in the gusts.

> http://www.hort.net/funds/

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W