Re: Jeanne

Yep. I think there's a lot of placebo in piece of plywood, although if the winds aren't too strong plywood will keep Ma Nature from throwing a pine cone through your window. But if the winds are at hurricane strength, Ma Nature will probably throw your plywood through your neighbor's window.

On Monday, September 27, 2004, at 05:29 AM, Bonnie & Bill Morgan wrote:

I once heard a comedy routine talking about "magic plywood" that folks use
to combat hurricane force winds. I wouldn't trust plywood too far. I've
seen what a tornado can do with it and trusting windows to it just doesn't
seem to be very safe. I'd be with you in opting for the shutters and I'm
sure even those have their limits.

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 10:51 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Jeanne

We don't have shutters, although that would be preferable to plywood.
Windows break in high wind, Donna, either because the wind bows them to
the breaking point or because the wind picks up an object and throws it
at them. This house has those now passe three-pane jalousie windows,
each 14 by 32 inches--too small to be bowed. And the windows on the
side of house that are in the prevailing direction of hurricane winds
on this side of the state [west and southwest], are fairly well
protected from flying objects by Jim's jungle. In fact, the brunt of
the storm falls mostly on the side of the garage, which had no windows.

We have no bay windows or sliding glass doors. I'm afraid if the winds
were strong enough to blow out the jalousie windows, plywood would not
help although shutters might.