From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of David Franzman
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2004 8:38 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: Re: [CHAT] RE: daughter unit

The daughter unit is home and doing much better.  I will tell you all
this because it's such a bizarre series of maladies that it defies
reason but one after another it has taken a toll on her usual cheerful
self.

One day before she was finishing her junior year of high school on the
last finals day she was diagnosed with lymphoma.  This wasn't your
typical lymphoma.  It was caused by her anti rejection medications
suppressing her immune system acting with a latent mono virus which we
didn't know she had causing tumors to grow.  I think you knew this part
so far.  Well she received low doses of chemo treatments which was very
effective in reducing the tumors.  However, on the day she was supposed
to visit her grandparents for a week in July she experienced
excruciating pain in her abdomen where the larger of the two tumors
were.  We rushed her to the hospital via helicopter.  The tumor, when it
shrank, perforated her bowels and gave her a raging infection.  She had
emergency surgery and they removed 8" of her intestines.  She came home
in early August for one week.  Then when she was supposed to go to
Seattle to visit her aunt for a week before school started again she had
the same pain again.  Either another area was perforated or they didn't
get it all the first time.  They had to operate again in the same place
and remove another 10" of intestines.  This time the infection was even
worse with a fungal infection added to the bacterial infection. When you
don't have an immune system these things can kill you very quickly and
she was very, very sick.

Anyway that's how my daughter spent her summer vacation.  She seems to
be having a better attitude now that she's home.  Unfortunately one of
the doctors is very frank and explained to us that with lung transplant
patients body parts can suddenly just stop functioning and that the
simplest medical problems can become instantly fatal particularly in the
gut region.

My selling season is over now so hopefully I'll be able to more a part
of the group for a while.  You're now updated on her condition.
Hopefully she'll have some time of good health and she can have a
productive senior year.

DF